Who is the course for?
Redcliffe's MA in Bible and Mission enables students to explore mission in the Bible and the Bible in mission thinking and practice. It has been developed in partnership with various agencies including Wycliffe Bible Translators and Bible Society, both of whom are involved in the ongoing content of the course.
- Are you involved in teaching or using the Bible for mission in a cross-cultural context either in the UK or the rest of the world?
- Do you want to gain a greater understanding of how the Bible relates how the Bible relates to mission and to contemporary culture?
- Do you want to research a missiological topic with a Biblical focus?
You can study full-time (completing all four modules and your dissertation) over one year, part-time over two years or in flexible learning mode over three - four years
, ideal for combining work with study. The course leader is Tim Davy, Lecturer in Bible and Missio
n and Director for the Centre of the Study of Bible and Mission
Redcliffe faculty and visiting lecturers are involved in the teaching and supervision of the modules.
MA consists of four taught modules and an 18,000 word dissertation in a
contemporary Bible and Mission issue of your choice. The taught component
of some modules is delivered in intensive blocs, i.e lectures run over several
2-4 day periods with time for personal study between
intensives. Students complete the three compulsory modules* and choose a
further module from the options below.
- Method and content in missiological study*
- Reading the Bible missionally*
- Bible engagement in intercultural contexts*
- The mission of the Church in the context of post-colonialism and globalisation
- Crucial issues in Asian mission and theology
- Crucial Issues in European mission and theology
- An introduction to global leadership
- Theology of religions
- The greening of mission
- Prosperity theology and suffering
- Just mission – justice issues in intercultural contexts
- Independent study module.
The Bible and Mission MA allows students to deepen their understanding of the Bible as the chronicle of God's missional engagement with humanity, but also to understand the role of the Bible as a tool in the Church's mission. This is an excellent foundation for anyone seeking to read or teach the scriptures in any cross-cultural context. My only complaint is that the course wasn't available twenty years ago when i really needed it!
Eddie Arthur, Executive Director, Wycliffe Bible Translators
The MA in Bible and Mission is part of the activity of Redcliffe's specialist Centre for the Study of the Bible and Mission. The Centre also hosts an Bible and Mission lecture, and a visiting scholar from the Global South each year. It also aims to develop a bi-annual consultation focusing on the Bible and Mission.
The Postgraduate MA in Bible and Mission is validated by the University of Gloucestershire.
A full list of module options is available for download using the link opposite. Detailed information and program specifications are available here
. Optional modules will run subject to sufficient numbers of students. Please do not hesitate to get in touch
if you have any questions, or use the links on the left.